How Many Bicycle Accidents Happen In California
Riding a bicycle is a great way to get exercise and it is increasing in popularity in California every year. The Fatality Analysis Reporting System reported that 133 people lost their lives in bicycle accidents in California in 2019.
Bicyclists often encounter potholes, broken glass, loose gravel, and railway or trolley tracks when they are on the roads and bike trails. They know how important it is to always be on the lookout to avoid an accident. They also need to watch the cars passing by to avoid a collision. When a crash occurs between a vehicle and a bicyclist, the cyclist is likely to be injured.
Riding A Bike Is Healthy, But Dangerous
Bicycles are a convenient mode of transportation and they’re good for the environment, but they can be a dangerous method of getting around when the cyclist isn’t riding safely or when pedestrians and car drivers aren’t paying attention.
Bicycle accidents require special attention because there is always more to them than meets the eye. Several factors can play a key factor in the cause and severity of the accident, including:
- Was the driver paying attention as the law requires?
- If so, did the driver have time to observe and react?
- Was there some road design defect that contributed to the cause of the accident?
- Was there some visual obscurement to the driver’s view that should have prompted added caution?
- Bicycle Accidents In California And How To Pursue A Personal Injury Claim
- What Are My Rights And Responsibilities As A Bicycle Rider In Southern California?
California Bicycle Accident Statistics In 2023
The Los Angeles Times asserted that “if you are going to be killed by a car while riding a bicycle, there’s a good chance you are male, older than 20, and living in California or Florida.” In recent findings provided by multiple sources, bicycle accidents increased by 25% in 2021 over 2020 numbers.
What’s more, according to experts, these numbers are being vastly underreported by officers and the media. All this aside, the projected numbers for California bike accidents are particularly staggering:
- Statistics show that 141 cyclists died in bike accidents in California.
- Bicycle accident deaths account for 3-4% of the state’s total auto accident deaths.
- A total of 48,000 bicycle injuries from auto accidents were reported as of 2022.
- The most common type of bicycle injury is a head injury.
- Urban cyclists are 40% more likely to sustain an injury than off-road cyclists.
- More than 70% of bicycle injury victims are male.
Riding a bike is becoming increasingly dangerous, and motor vehicles are often the cause of serious injury. Staying safe while riding a bike includes taking precautions such as wearing a helmet, avoiding busy streets, using lights, and obtaining reflective gear. While bicycle accidents are still significantly underreported in California, it is still important to keep yourself safe by being aware of the risks involved.
Let Us Help You Recover
Bicycle Safety And Precautions
One of the most important safety precautions for anyone riding a bike is to wear a helmet. Helmets reduce the risk of head and brain injuries and can prevent an accident from resulting in a fatality. Courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, other bicycle safety tips include:
- Wearing fluorescent clothing during the day. You may think this tip applies only to nighttime riding, but fluorescent clothing can make bicyclists more visible during the day as well.
- Wearing retro-reflective clothing at night. This clothing makes bicyclists more visible at night.
- Using active lighting. Active lighting can come in the form of front white lights, rear red lights, and other lighting on the bicycle or bicyclist.
Visibility is a key factor in minimizing bicycle accidents. Riders of all ages can benefit from wearing fluorescent or retro-reflective clothing, using active lighting, and, of course, wearing a helmet.
Hire A La Habra, California Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you’ve been in a bicycle accident, you need a friendly and experienced lawyer on your side. The attorneys at Holland & Holland in La Habra, California can educate and guide you throughout your case, helping you achieve the best outcome possible. Contact us today for a consultation.