Holland & Holland Law Offices

(Monday - Thursday):

8 am - 5 pm | (Friday):

8 am - 4 pm | (Saturday - Sunday):

Closed |

Call For A Free Consultation

(562) 600-0807

With the classic sunny California weather, motorcycle accidents are pretty common. The combination of an increased number of motorcycles on the road and distracted drivers in large vehicles leads to a greater number of motorcycle accidents.

What Are The Most Common Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents In Southern California?

Many motorcycle accidents are caused by the inattention of other drivers. Motorcycles have a much smaller profile than 4-wheeled vehicles making them harder to notice in your mirrors. In most cases, drivers don’t see motorcycles at all or if they do see them, it’s too late to do anything.

Another common cause of motorcycle accidents is when motorcycles are splitting lanes. Sometimes motorcyclists assume the person driving a car is going to see them. If the driver doesn’t and starts to make a lane change, it may result in a collision with the person on a motorcycle.

What Defenses Do Insurance Companies Use To Deny Or Limit Compensation In A Motorcycle Injury Claim?

The primary defense insurance companies will use is trying to deny or limit settlements for motorcycle injury claims. They will try to place part of the blame on the motorcycle rider. If they are found to be a certain percentage at fault, it could impact the amount of money they would receive in a settlement.

The facts of the loss are what should be used to determine whether the motorcyclist bears any blame for the accident. In most cases, motorcyclists do not end up being blamed for accidents unless there are facts that suggest that they did something wrong or were at fault. In any type of accident it is beneficial to get the police to arrive at the scene and file a report. If the police are unable to get to the scene, the motorcyclist should get any witness information that you can use to corroborate your story. Depending on where your accident happened, it may have been recorded. There are cameras everywhere. Nearby shops, road intersections, highway cams, and even other driver cams. Scan your surroundings to see if you can spot any cameras and see if you can get a recording of the accident.

In our experience, people involved in an accident will change their story after speaking with their insurance company, family, and friends. Getting statements from eyewitnesses, video cameras, or police reports offers a fresh and immediate picture of the incident. Having these bits of evidence will help you be successful with your claim..

What Are Potential Damages That Are Recoverable In A Motorcycle Accident Case?

You may be entitled to special damages including but are not limited to doctor bills paid, copays paid, or doctor owed. Additionally, there are general damages for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and adverse effects on your life.

After an accident, it is important to journal or document how you feel each day. Keeping track of your pain levels, where you are feeling pain, anytime you do something that causes you pain, or there is pain doing something that you did often before the accident. This list will help in the future settlement amount you may receive.

Another type of damage recovery is loss of earnings. If you have missed work as a result of the accident, you will be required to prove you were unable to work. It is important to get official documentation from your doctor to demonstrate that you were unable to work. Additionally, talk with your HR Department to get documentation that you actually used your sick or vacation time.

Finally, there are punitive damages. These are available if you were hit by a drunk driver or the accident was the result of some other related criminal charge.

For more information on Motorcycle Accidents In Orange County, CA,free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (562) 600-0807 today.

Holland & Holland Law Offices

Call For A Free Consultation
(562) 600-0807